BOSTON – For the first time this season, the Suffolk volleyball team put together a straight set victory as the Rams swept Pine Manor Tuesday night inside Regan Gymnasium. Suffolk pushed its win streak to four thanks to set scores 25-17, 25-17 and 25-18.
SCORE: Suffolk 3, Pine Manor 0
RECORDS: Suffolk (5-3) | Pine Manor (3-5)
HOW IT HAPPENED
Suffolk put up identical 25-17 wins in the first and second frames, respectively, and almost matched that in the third set with a 25-18 victory to seal up the sweep.
SET ONE RECAP (25-17, SUFFOLK)
- Suffolk grabbed a quick 3-0 lead in which it maintained at 6-3.
- Five unanswered points by the Rams pushed their edge to 10-3.
- The Gators closed the margin to two, 12-10.
- Out of a Suffolk timeout, the hosts reclaimed a five-point cushion, 19-14, thanks to an ace from Hannah Fabiano.
- Suffolk put on cruise control from there and locked up the set, 25-17.
SET TWO RECAP (25-17, SUFFOLK)
- Similar to the first frame, the Rams rattled off the first three points.
- Pine Manor kept things close, 9-6, before a Suffolk spurt of six consecutive points made it a 15-6 blue-and-gold set.
- The Gators took a timeout and gained their composure, scoring the next three points including back-to-back blocks by Altimisa Cardoso and Viyanni Johnson to trim the deficit to 15-9.
- Suffolk kept the visitors at bay, regaining its nine-point lead that blossomed into a 22-11 advantage.
- Refusing to go down without a fight, Pine Manor clawed back with a 4-0 stretch to chip away at Suffolk's lead, 22-14.
- The distance was too great, however, as each team turned in three more points the rest of the way for the 25-17 margin.
SET THREE RECAP (25-18, SUFFOLK)
- A tightly contest opened was present as Pine Manor took its first lead of the night within the first three points.
- The stanza equalized four times before Suffolk used a 5-0 spurt capped off by an ace from Meg Kerek to go ahead 10-5.
- The Rams kept the Gators at bay from there and rolled to its 25-18 set win.
- Viyanni Johnson was the main ingredient on each side of the net for the Green-and-white. The sophomore produced a 6-kill, 8-dig effort.
- Ashley Whiteshield who set up the majority of Pine Manor's attack with 11 handouts, registered one kill and eight digs.
- Alexa Leon produced three kills and ten digs while Keisha Hadorn had three kills to her credit.